Plan for D

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Tue May 18 09:43:08 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 18 May 2021 at 09:10:49 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad
wrote:
> Maybe so, but even then it does not change the fact that for
> small languages seasoned programmers will look at how the
> language is used in the compiler.
>
> Second point is that language designers cannot make good
> language design decisions if they dont use the feature set on a
> larger project.
>
> Isn't this obvious!?

For the first point, no. Since you investigate the compiler of a
language you're learning, I presume you're not the only one and
some indeed do that.

It's not obvious for me that it's the majority of seasoned
programmers, though. Compilers may be a bit too advanced for
someone new to the language, one could also opt for investigating
a simpler project instead, to have a quicker start.

As for the second point, why do you suspect it isn't obvious?
Phobos and DUB are much more iDiomatic than DMD, so the language
designers are using the whole feature set of D regardless of DMD
implementation.