Plan for D

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Tue May 18 21:20:40 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 20:57:13 UTC, dogman wrote:
> Question to the core team. Whats the plan and roadmap for D ?
> a. are we planning to keep D just as a hobby language or a real
> contender for industry use. Despite being complex, rust has
> started to get adopted in industries. Whats our plan ?
>
> b. When are we planning to focus on memory safety and use that
> as our strength

D is already pretty memory safe. Not sure how D lacks in that
department to the point that it's become a problem. Plus it's not
like that the only thing worth looking at or priority No. 1 for
that matter.

> c. Will we ever make D as both a GC and non GC language. So
> that it can be used across control plane, data plane, kernel. I
> know betterC, but could we make it more easy and accessible
> common public to able to use phobos. I know people say 95% is
> done etc.

D can already be used just like any other language can. Anyone
who can't use D for any of such use cases it problem the problem
itself. Of course, all language require certain compromises to
work in certain environment and D is not different.

> d. Why there are no working groups for tooling, web frameworks,
> performance, compiler etc so that we can improve on each area.

The working group is for maintaining the language. Web framework
etc. is not an issue or limitation of D. By the way, what king of
web framework or web functionality cannot be done in current D?
we got vibe.d, hunt, arsd CGI, etc.

> e. Why is weka not sponsoring ? why are we not advertising that
> the fastest filesystem is made in D ?

They've done quite a bit of marketing in the past. By the way,
many other companies are using D partially or exclusively
(https://dlang.org/orgs-using-d.html). The fastest file system
isn't written in PHP yet it's quite popular. Why is that so? Why
do a lot of people use PHP that much?

> f. D has all properties to make it a good language. But needs
> more work and marketing. Why cant we make D as a safe and fast
> extension to C++ & python

Moot.