Plan for D

norm norm.rowtree at gmail.com
Wed May 19 03:14:21 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 19 May 2021 at 03:11:15 UTC, norm wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 May 2021 at 00:21:11 UTC, zjh wrote:
>> I have come to the conclusion that the fighting power of
>> language is:
>> `C++~d>trust~C#>KT,Java,go`. If`d` is afraid of improve and
>> adheres to `GC`, I will move `d` to the end and directly
>> choose `C++` because`d` retains `disadvantages` and gives up
>> `advantages`. Because there are many places where` memory is
>> very important `. The less`memory` means the less `cost`. Only
>> in this way,` industrial users` will choose you.
>>
>> At present, `c++`'s comprehensive strength is the strongest .
>>
>> If we make BIG changes, we can change it to better `c++`.
>>
>> since `d` has much fewer users, it can be either a
>> `disadvantage or an advantage`. Because you can be confident
>> and bold to make changes. When you have more users, you are
>> really constrained. This is where `C++` can't beat `d`.
>
> This thread is D and has been for the last 10+yrs.
>
> Changing requires effort but unfortunately the louder someone
> bitches and moans on the forum the less effort they seem to be
> willing to put in to fixing the issues they have. You can
> contribute your ideas with PRs and DIPs today, or you can fork
> the compiler and create PDAY, Perfect D According to You.
>
> But both require effort other than the hot air been blown all
> over the newsgroup.
>
> The other alternative is, as you say, go to C++. This is what I
> did a while back and now I use C++20 for most projects. For me
> personally D kinda stalled in terms of what I was looking for
> and started chasing the tail of Rust. So I may as well use
> C++20 and beyond, which has or will have most of the features
> that originally drew me to D.
>
> D really doesn't have to worry about being a C++, Java, C#,
> Rust, Go killer language. All that is just a distraction.

On Wednesday, 19 May 2021 at 03:11:15 UTC, norm wrote:

But back to the OP, it would be interesting to see quarterly
roadmaps published for D on the wiki. It doesn't matter if most
items are dropped or never implemented, what it provides for the
community is a snapshot of what the core team are working on and
their near term plans at the time of writing. If it changes by
next quarter, who cares it is still of interest.