Plan for D

norm norm.rowtree at gmail.com
Wed May 19 08:21:38 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 19 May 2021 at 03:36:10 UTC, zjh wrote:
> When everyone is pulling D towards`C++/Java/Python/go`, it's
> useless if you want to pull `C++`. Can you wake them up without
> saying it aloud?
> D need `a sense of urgency`. Really, when `C++23` is comming,
> `reflection / network` is available. Even you are trying to use
> C++. where is `D's place`?

Why does D need a sense of urgency? D and its community need to
learn how to be comfortable being D and not get distracted
chasing perfection in an attempt to be the next Big Thing.

I choose to use C++20 at the moment because it is fun again and I
like where it is heading. At some point I may switch back to D
but it depends on where D ends up. I'm not interested in another
Rust or C++, they already exist but D once felt like it was a
Python/C++ lovechild and that was an interesting and fun language
to use for a while. Really low friction, simple to get into quick
to code in and powerful features. But like I said it stalled in
its development of new features in that direction chasing
perfection.

On a completely unrelated note I will say D newsgroups are an
amazing resource. I have learned an enormous amount just lurking
on discussions between the core devs and looking over their
shoulders at the PRs which result from those discussions.