Plan for D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed May 19 10:57:55 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 19 May 2021 at 09:09:10 UTC, zjh wrote:
> OK, back to the original question, what is `d`, What do you
> want to be?What is `d'`s road map? How to `complete` it?
> Just like the slogan of `C++`:`extreme abstraction/never
> waste`. This is` C++`:`focus on performance, squeeze out
> performance`.

Yes, this is what makes C++ the best language for low level
programming at the moment, but if one tries to do high level
programming in C++ it tends to be verbose or too easy to make
mistakes in comparison to other languages. But it is usually not
too difficult to mix C++ with other languages.

> What I put forward is that `d` focuses on becoming a `better
> c++`. As long as` GC` is removed from the standard library, I
> think it is possible to achieve this goal. A better c++ `is the
> best language`.

Yes, that was what D claimed to be around 2006? And that is why I
picked it up, but the GC killed it for what I wanted to create (+
compiler bugs). And that was like... 15 years ago? Since then it
has aggregated lots of features I don't really wanted, but the GC
and compiler bugs issue is remaining.

So I am very happy that memory management is on the plan, let's
keep focus on that one until it is done. Then address the
compiler bugs and D will finally get close to what it claimed to
be like 15 years ago...

But C++ was a different language back then. Trying to become what
C++ is going to be in the future is too much. Way too much to
achieve. Let's try to achieve the goals D had 15 years ago
first... Then set new goals... :-D