Plan for D

nkm1 t4nk074 at openmailbox.org
Wed May 19 13:01:13 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 19 May 2021 at 12:30:18 UTC, zjh wrote:

> Those who tells us to do `DC++` alone just want us to leave.
> They want to make `d`  `DC#`.

It was already that! It changed horses in midstream, trying to
become DC++.

> `We can start with the details of where we feel uncomfortable`.

There are various problems with DMD and other software, those are
all solvable or tolerable.
The big technical problem is that the D programming language
tries to offer good support
for different kinds of memory management. This is a hell of a
task, especially in a situation of limited resourses (manpower
etc).
As far as I can tell, the plan (implicitly) is (was?) this:
implement some kind of limited-borrow-checker-kind-of-thing
(dip1000), implement refcounting of pointers and use dip1000 to
optimize the refcounting. And then presumably abandon the GC.
For now it doesn't seem to work, probably because it's very
difficult to do all that. Meanwhile, GC does work, even though
it's not a great one.

> If we don't act, and wait for `d author` to lead us or give us
> directions. Maybe it will be `a long time`.
> However, we still need to use `d`. Let's start with `small
> details` one by one.

What's the point of talking about small details when there is an
elephant in the room.