std.essentials

Petar Petar
Thu May 20 15:25:58 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 20 May 2021 at 12:42:56 UTC, Ogi wrote:
> On Monday, 17 May 2021 at 15:27:53 UTC, Martin Tschierschke
> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a trivial way to use dub packages with rdmd?
>>
>> `https://dev.to/btbytes/you-dont-need-no-stinking-projects-dub-version--476c`
>>
>> Not the same, but the hint might help?
> One problem with this solution is that dub doesn’t cache the
> executable when used this way.
>
> The point I am trying to make is that `import std` is not
> optimal for its intended use case. We should probably deprecate
> it if we get `std.essentials`.

No, we should improve the build times of `import std`, until it
performs better than your proposed version of `import
std.essentials` :P

There's no fundamental reason why unused imports should be that
slow.

Here's a few pull requests that improved the compile times:

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/5931
https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/6122
https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/8053

There's a ton insightful discussion in in the PR that added the
`std` package, e.g. starting with this comment:
https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/5916#issuecomment-362870018