Plan for D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu May 20 15:28:52 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 20 May 2021 at 12:59:48 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad
wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 May 2021 at 11:10:25 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
>> Also when you mention ARC, is that atomic reference counting
>> or automatic reference counting?
>
> I mean removing inc/dec by static analysis. Possibly also
> turning shared_ptr into unique_ptr where possible, which is
> tricky because of sizeof. I guess I dont mean library RC, but
> something close to it. It could look like a template.
>
> Done in a way that could later be extended to the heap, so if
> you can prove that something is used as a stack, you can get
> rid of the refcount...

Contrary to popular belief ARC implementations are quite lousy.

Good in theory, not so much when placed in benchmarks, but I
guess Apple's marketing helps selling the pivot regarding
Objective-C GC failure.

https://github.com/ixy-languages/ixy-languages

To the point that in all these years Microsoft never bothered to
try that in any of their C++ COM/UWP aware implementations.

Also there isn't a single C++ compiler that does such
optimizations to their smart pointer classes.