Plan for D

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri May 21 07:29:35 UTC 2021

On Friday, 21 May 2021 at 07:07:19 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> I guess everyone over here will keep talking in circles about
> memory management.
>
> Meanwhile TinyGo, CircuitPyhton, Meadow, Astrobe, MakeCode.
> microEJ just keep increasing their market share, while D keeps
> its soul search for the golden solution to replace GC.

What do you propose that D should do?

I am not in a position to do anything more than propose ideas
that can be developed into something that both satisfies the high
level D programmers and the low level programmers and try to
build some common ground. Building common ground takes time and
repeated communication. You need to consider many proposals and
evolve them to get to a good solution.

Nim seems to have considered and tested several options before
landing on ARC, that is the right approach. Don't settle for
anything before you have explored the options.

In my opinion a task based GC + shared RC should satisfy the
needs of both groups and most single threaded code would not need
many changes.