Plan for D

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Fri May 21 09:02:32 UTC 2021

On Friday, 21 May 2021 at 08:43:44 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> Do like those projects, the powers at the steering wheel should
> stick with the original design and push it no matter what,
> instead of switching direction every couple of years and never
> finishing it.

The reason we want to move away from tracing GC is because of
this, to quote Araq in this thread.

https://forum.dlang.org/post/fttikqwuygkdmpbfocdh@forum.dlang.org

*But Nim actually bets on RC because it's much more amenable to
manual optimizations and because it works well with custom memory
management, making it a good fit for "systems programming".*

If D wants be a viable option in embedded and systems
programming, it has to move away from the tracing GC it has
today. This is one of the big reasons D doesn't gain popularity.
For high level scripting languages, there are plenty of
alternatives.