Plan for D

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri May 21 13:59:23 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 19 May 2021 at 16:16:39 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 20:57:13 UTC, dogman wrote:
>> Question to the core team. Whats the plan and roadmap for D ?
>> a. are we planning to keep D just as a hobby language or a
>> real contender for industry use. Despite being complex, rust
>> has started to get adopted in industries. Whats our plan ?
>
> D is already largely fit for industry. In my niche, there is
> only C++ competitors, and exactly zero Rust/Go/Zig competitors.
> D is a practical language, not the "earn the maximum of points
> of HN"-type language.

I think JUCE is largely the reason for why almost everyone starts
out with C++.

Anyway, audio is an area where you have to write your own MM no
matter which language, sabso it a bit atypical. If you create
many similar products, then you can create you own framework with
your own MM. Most dont, so then you need a solid MM for that
application.

I find that the easy option for GUI on mac now is SwiftUI,
implies xcode, implies C++.

If I planned to do many similar applications, then I might have
considered something else...