Plan for D

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Fri May 21 16:17:57 UTC 2021

On Friday, 21 May 2021 at 15:15:37 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad wrote:

> But JUCE came before Rust... The point I tried to make was that
> there is a threshold you have to cross to get developers over
> to your language. People look for the easiest/most used
> solution. (Many audio engines are C + DSL, but that wasn't my
> point)

Ola is right in that choice of framework is the primary driver of
language selection.
The handlful of people that chose Dplug didn't know D before.

That's why I think (sorry for turning this into another "D needs
X" argument) D needs a slightly better library ecosystem to have
more users ("yes you can do that in 3 lines, here are the
lines"), and documentation is one way to achieve it.

JUCE has lasting power thanks to better documentation and
identifiers. It's easy to overlook how much an easy API with good
identifiers can lure people. I feel like this is a grave
shortcoming of the Stepanov STL style.