Redundancy of DRuntime and Phobos

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri May 21 17:43:31 UTC 2021

On Friday, 21 May 2021 at 16:15:57 UTC, Q. Schroll wrote:
> I noticed that `core.internal.traits` contains a lot of stuff
> that is exactly the same in `std.traits` and `std.meta`. Is
> that for legacy reasons or should new additions be also
> redundant (and why)?

As I understand it, they were added to Phobos first, then people
wanted them in druntime, but druntime cannot import phobos, so it
copy/pasted, but then the duplication was annoying, so phobos
then imported druntime.

I think it is more an accident of history and maybe some
compatibility worries more than anything else.

Or indeed it could be doc related. adrdox handles public imports
pretty ok but ddoc doesn't.