Plan for D

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat May 22 15:37:40 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 22 May 2021 at 13:36:11 UTC, sighoya wrote:
> Can't speak for you, but this is a no-option for me. C++ has a
> massive complexity bolted on it, you have an abundance of ugly
> code which won't be upgraded and will even grow as of today.

I guess you are talking about libraries, sure most of the larger
frameworks were designed many years ago and have outdated APIs.
Also, many C++ programmers are set in their ways and continue to
write code in their own set ways. More social than language...

D is becoming quite complex too though, it could be made simpler.
D allows more compact syntax, but not sure what the effect of
that is when you get large code bases.

> Still improved support for templates in C++ aren't enough to
> replace C macros, so you have to deal with them anyway.
> The syntax still feels hard to read these days, I don't know.

As was pointed out, STL can be verbose, but the last versions
have improved on that by language and library changes, so I am
starting to find it bearable.

I don't use macros in C++... Not sure what you meant there?

> And then developing without a GC and dealing with many memory
> containers which aren't that safely convertible to each other,
> no, thanks.

Not sure what you mean by memory containers?

What makes C++ challenging is that libraries tend to focus on
performance and detailed control, so that can often make them
harder to set up and use than in other languages where speed is
less in focus.