How can we make it easier to experiment with the compiler?

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Mon May 24 08:35:43 UTC 2021

On Monday, 24 May 2021 at 06:58:48 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/23/2021 10:15 PM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
>> This is a _completely_ orthogonal problem.
>
> It's the same problem.
>
> Shuffling files around accomplishes nothing when every module
> imports every other module.

Did you read _literally nothing else_ that I wrote?

Let me quote myself again so that you don't miss it:

> The symptoms are completely orthogonal, although easily
> confused: failure of encapsulation makes _reasoning_ about the
> _interconnectedness_ of code difficult, failure to package
> makes _exploration_ and _enumeration_ of code (files,
> functions, classes, data structures) more difficult.

Putting the modules into packages fixes EXACTLY the problem of
horrible experience with exploration and enumeration. It
explicitly does not fix failure of encapsulation because it is a
_completely_ orthogonal set of symptoms.

> D's support for modules and packages is literally designed
> around matching the hierarchy of the source files.

Yes, and?