How can we make it easier to experiment with the compiler?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Mon May 24 22:40:22 UTC 2021

On Monday, 24 May 2021 at 22:21:46 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> `core` is a separate library in its own, independent hierarchy,
> it is not in the `std` hierarchy. It is not "up sideways and
> down". So it's good.

Shouldn't the same reasoning apply to `import`ing `dmd.root` from
`dmd.backend`? if I understood right, `dmd.root` is designed to
act like an external utility library. It should be no problem to
`import` it, as long as `dmd.root` does not try to import rest of
DMD.

> Now, if std.stdio imported core.stdc.stdio, and core.stdc.stdio
> imported std.stdio, then you've got a really bad design.

It sounds like your real issue is circular imports, not parent
package imports. That sounds more reasonable to me.