How can we make it easier to experiment with the compiler

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue May 25 04:21:08 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 25 May 2021 at 00:03:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/24/2021 2:01 PM, Max Haughton wrote:
>> Where do you start?
>
> At the first function you notice that has poor/missing/wrong
> documentation.
>
> Like this one I just did:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/12570

This is not helpful. Too much commenting makes the code even
harder to read and drowns out important comments.  This corporate
illness (which assumes that programmers are idiots) is why
editors now ship with hide-all-comments functionality... Good
code with good naming needs only few comments and those are on an
_algorithmic_ level.

Nobody that has read an introductory book on compilers need a
comment explaining a function that is looking up a symbol from a
symboltable. If that is a problem, improve the name, use a longer
name.