How can we make it easier to experiment with the compiler

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue May 25 12:21:23 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 25 May 2021 at 11:40:42 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 May 2021 at 11:22:24 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
>> I don't know...I mean it's a start...
>
> Many functions have two-liners documentation already, but it is
> kinda like a forest. You see lots of individual trees, but the
> shape of the forest is hard to grasp. More documentation on
> individual functions won't enable anything. Just like stapling
> "this is spruce", "this is birch" to individual trees does not
> help much.

Or let me explain it another way. Assume writing good useful
documentation takes 10-20% of your coding time.

What should you formally document?

1. High level structure.
2. Stuff that is stable and well encapsulated and needs to be
explained.
3. FAQs.
4. Functions that deviate from the norm (behaves in surprising
ways).

Stuff you want to replace, not so much I think. Given that those
10-20% would be better spent refactoring.