Pondering. Computer Business. How serious this gets will be dependent on comments.

btiffin btiffin at myopera.com
Tue May 25 20:53:43 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 25 May 2021 at 20:37:45 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad
wrote:

>> can anyone see D with Business saddles?
>
> No idea, are they interested in something that does not have
> IBM approval?

First up, I'm answering this after assuming the "they" in are
they interested, is the COBOL standard folk, not the D team.  If
the open question is from the point of view of the D team, then
this answer is off page.

The COBOL Standards people go out of their way to describe it as
an industry language, not proprietary or beholden to any
particular corporation.  Although dropped in the latest ISO docs,
this was always (circa 1960) included in the preamble for
Standard COBOL:

> COBOL is an industry language and is not the property of any
> company or group
of companies, or of any organization or group of organizations.

That was on purpose, to avoid the impression of Yet Another IBM
monopoly.

Cheers,
Blue