Pondering. Computer Business. How serious this gets will be dependent on comments.

btiffin btiffin at myopera.com
Tue May 25 22:40:28 UTC 2021

Aside from a nice thank you for the input...

On Tuesday, 25 May 2021 at 22:01:46 UTC, tsbockman wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what else do you consider to be a "Computer
> Business" language? Java?

Nope.  Java is base-2 math by default.  It tries hard to be
Enterprise (and does not a bad job), but I don't count it as
Business.  Rexx is base-10 math, designed by Mike Cowlishaw, who
is also responsible for a lot of the base-10 libraries in use and
development.  But, Rexx is a scripting language, counts as a
Computer Science language (in my opinion).

I count things like Digital's DIBOL, or maybe (this is stretching
things), SAP and PeopleSoft, but I count those as more Enterprise
Computer Science applications.

SQL might count, but engines are usually implemented with base-2
arithmetic, so it doesn't, really.  But it could.

Computer Business is a very narrow field, one of the reasons
COBOL still rules the roost.  No real competition.  A lot of the
Engineering languages are being left behind now too, FOCAL and
the like are not really getting much focused attention (*given my
limited view of the vast vast world*).  Everyone wants to compete
in the general Computer Science arena.  All good, but it does
make standing out quite a bit harder.  Popularity in computer
science programming languages is mostly random luck and too much
"good enough is good enough".  (Or, in the Java land case, a 500
million dollar intro campaign meant to guarantee more eyeballs).
Computer Business is rather boring in terms of programming, but
an absolute necessity to many behind the scenes.

And again, thanks for the insights.

I guess the thing I'm looking out for is "Don't!", and if that
doesn't happen, then I might try a few things to test waters.  A
"we don't care" is ok, as long as it isn't a "Don't! it will
dilute the goals of the core team at a time the core team can't
afford distractions" or "we have no plans to cater to Business"
(as in my definition of Computer Business programming, not that D
doesn't want to help any businesses, which I'm sure it does
(both, want to and already helping)).   ;-)

Have good,
Blue