Enhancements can enable memory-safe reference counting

tsbockman thomas.bockman at gmail.com
Tue May 25 23:16:44 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 25 May 2021 at 18:40:52 UTC, Gavin Ray wrote:
> explain/comment the code and what's going on here? Would be
> much appreciated =D

What would you like explained? Or alternatively, which parts of
the code *do* make sense to you?

A full explanation without making any assumptions about your
background and experience, other than a minimal working knowledge
of D, would be multiple pages long.

> I think I understand that it's some sort of
> ownership/refcounting system that's meant to provide
> scope-based safe resource usage

That is the goal of the full system, yes. The code in my original
post isn't intended for practical use, though. It's just a
demonstration of some bugs or missing features in the current
implementation of `return`, together with a small demonstration
of the practical value of fixing them.