How can we make it easier to experiment with the compiler?

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Wed May 26 01:25:23 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 26 May 2021 at 00:31:48 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/24/2021 3:41 AM, Tobias Pankrath wrote:
>> Putting the files into directories would make those violations
>> obvious and
>> serve as documentation on how the deps should be. Than all
>> others can
>> start work towards that goal.
>
> When you've got a rusty car, it sure is tempting to just paint
> it. But it's all for naught if the real work, the hard work,
> the boring work -repairing the rust- is not done.
>
> Just shooting color out of the sprayer is fun and looks great.
> But it avoids accomplishing anything worthwhile

That is correct for the analogy you used, however that is a false
analogy because...

> It's an Illusion of Progress.

...Illusions of Progress provide no actual utility, hence
illusions.
Packaging DMD otoh, provides _lots_ of utility: exploration and
navigation is greatly eased, moreso for people who are less
familiar with the codebase.