Why did etc.c.odbc move to core.sys.windows?

Petar Petar
Wed May 26 11:13:15 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 26 May 2021 at 10:35:16 UTC, singingbush wrote:
> On Sunday, 23 May 2021 at 03:31:27 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
>> On Sunday, 23 May 2021 at 01:22:19 UTC, singingbush wrote:
>>> The phobos documentation states that the odbc modules:
>>>
>>> etc.c.odbc.sql
>>> etc.c.odbc.sqlext
>>> etc.c.odbc.sqltypes
>>> etc.c.odbc.sqlucode
>>>
>>> will be removed in Feb 2022 and I should instead use
>>> `core.sys.windows` but ODBC isn't a Windows only thing so
>>> this seems a bit odd.
>>
>> I'm guessing it's because Windows is the only OS that ships
>> these header files as part of the base installation. On Linux,
>> they're provided by a third-party package (e.g. on Debian it's
>> `libodbc`).
>
> For me that doesn't indicate that it should be in
> `core.sys.windows`, it indicates that either:
>
> A: The installers for other platforms need to ensure
> appropriate dependencies are installed
> B: odbc has no business being in core D language and should
> just be something that needs building independently, probably
> as a dub package.

I'd say B. As far as I am aware, none of the currently active
Phobos contributors is interested in ODBC, so it is a disservice
to our users to claim that this functionality is supported. It
should be moved to separate repo maintained by people who
actually use it.