How can we make it easier to experiment with the compiler?

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Wed May 26 12:37:58 UTC 2021

On 26/05/2021 1:38 PM, Paul Backus wrote:
> For what it's worth, I've found that exploration and navigation of DMD
> code becomes much more manageable with an editor that supports "goto
> definition"--ideally with history, so you can jump backwards too.

It also becomes significantly more manageable when you have things like
the parser, ast, semantic analysis and backend all grouped together in
different projects of your solution! This way you can ignore significant
chunks of the compiler which are irrelevant to what you are working on.

Imagine if there was a way to standardize this experience for everyone!
If only...