How can we make it easier to experiment with the compiler?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu May 27 07:29:05 UTC 2021

On 5/27/21 1:36 AM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> Yes, a README is strictly better than nothing. It does not substitute
> for having organised files. Neither does well organised files substitute
> for a lack of README.

Razvan found in https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/12560 a number of
imports of backend modules that shouldn't be there.

I wonder if this convention could be enforced by using package-level
protection in backend (and elsewhere) in such a way that would have made
it impossible for those imports to work.

That would be a good way forward because as it goes (and went in the
past) the discussion remains sterile. Once there is a demonstrable
improvement brought about by packages and (self-evidently) you can't get
package-level protection without packages, the case will be much easier
to make.

The overarching point is that better modularization should predate,
inform, and motivate division in packages, not follow it.