A rationale for more compiler exploration

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Fri May 28 10:01:04 UTC 2021

On 28/05/2021 9:11 PM, Ola Fosheim Grostad wrote:
> I don't think we need to discuss source code qualities too much to find
> a strategy on how to create "compile time slots" that are protected by
> invariants.
>
> Or at least agree that it is desirable to get to this stage.

I had a very similar idea to this previously, but specific to the parser.

Basically it would allow IDE tooling to have different passes to get
information out of the code you are working on.

1) tokens
2) parse rules
3) semantic information i.e. auto completion

Each pass would occur as the interval between key strokes increases,
meaning very high response times, with great looking results.

The IDE can utilize the parse rules from a previous call in conjunction
with a later token pass, to give better hints and syntax highlighting
without costing the bank.

So I'm all for it, even if I think there is a lot of work to do prior to
something like this.