Why did etc.c.odbc move to core.sys.windows?

singingbush singingbush at hotmail.com
Fri May 28 15:50:15 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 26 May 2021 at 12:03:06 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:

> I agree.
>
> A good path forward is for someone to create a replacement on
> dub, and then you can depend on that library.
>
> -Steve

That's why I'm posting the problem
[ddbc](https://github.com/buggins/ddbc/) does support odbc. It
allows me to use MS SQL from a Linux system. It currently relies
on `etc.c.odbc` and the proposed move to `core.sys.windows`
completely breaks it.

Rather than have odbc move from etc.c to core.sys.windows, I feel
it should be dropped alltogther and be given a longer time frame
for ddbc to do away with reliance on `etc.c.odbc`. Feb 2022
doesn't give a lot of time, a change like this should much more
notice.

It's things like this that stop people being able to use D in the
workplace. The D introduces breaking changes far too often. It's
completely unfair to put this demand on developers. I've got
applications to work on, I don't want to have to spend so much
time working around problems that have been created by the
language itself.