Proof of concept for v2 - NO duplication, NO `static if` hell, NO difficulty with interoperability

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Nov 1 01:55:22 UTC 2021

On 10/31/21 9:35 PM, zjh wrote:
>>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>
> `C++20` is very powerful, `d` can't be complacent. We should learn the
> advantages of `C++`. We should also  introduce powerful features such as
> `... `and `concept` and `coroutine` etc. What a convenient tool. Why not
> learn it?

The best aspect of C++ is the people working on it.

I think the very best work of my entire career is on the D language, by far.

Many folks much better than me have done the best work of their entire
career on the C++ language, by far.

There are very good folks working on C++ coroutines. We just don't have
very good folks working on D coroutines. Our haggling about improving
the process etc cannot override a simple reality: we don't have all that
ammo.

I think what we have is better than C++ concepts. I wouldn't touch C++
concepts. They are adding a lot of aggravation for very little power. We
have the opposite ratio.

> Like `manu` made a proposal, why doesn't `Walter` accept it?

Which one? Manu made a number of proposals, and most if not all have
been integrated in the language in a form of another, and for the better.

> As a long history language, C++ is undergoing radical improvement, so
> should we. Just provide a transition period of about `5~6` years.
> And `C++23` reflection library, is coming.

We should. It's all about good folks working on D. No amount of telling
what we should be doing will make that unnecessary.