Proof of concept for v2 - NO duplication, NO `static if` hell, NO difficulty with interoperability

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 04:44:34 UTC 2021

On Monday, 1 November 2021 at 02:27:21 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Monday, 1 November 2021 at 00:05:30 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
>
>> Given the above and also the perennial stagnation the D
>> library has been in, I'd say it's version or die.
>
> I have to admit that at times D feels like Common Lisp. A nice
> language for when it was designed, but now one that values
> stability over all else, at the expense of building on a good
> foundation. The death of Common Lisp was the standard.
> Something similar happened at some point for D but without
> standardization.

No. The end of Lisp was parentheses and Haskell. The standard
made it linger on for several decades beyond reason.

C++ std lib has always been a joke. One cannot use a joke for an
argument. What is missing here is understanding architecture and
layers. The std lib should be the bottom layer, and small, so you
can keep it stable, efficient and provide targeted compiler
optimizations. Changing this layer is incredibly expensive once
you get it right... C++ never got it right, so people cannot
fully rely on it as the bottom layer.