Herb Sutter's CppCon talk "Extending and Simplifying C++: Thoughts on Pattern Matching using `is` and `as`"

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 10:45:37 UTC 2021

On Monday, 1 November 2021 at 00:20:33 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I think it's relevant to our recent discussion on versioning,
> and also for its considerations on language design.
>
> https://youtube.com/watch?v=raB_289NxBk
>
> P.S. Destruction comes at https://youtu.be/raB_289NxBk?t=4727
> :o)

Many interesting discussion points in the video. It seems Sean
Baxter's "circle" C++ compiler is opening some eyes.

A quick scan produced an older critique of circle wrt another C++
proposal:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2020/p2062r0.pdf.  Those authors seem to embrace crippling, IMO, scope restrictions that circle does not.

If you've looked at circle's capabilities and would care to
comment wrt D, I think we'd all benefit.

Separately, many thanks for your great work in D.