Proof of concept for v2 - NO duplication, NO `static if` hell, NO difficulty with interoperability

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 10:48:54 UTC 2021

On Monday, 1 November 2021 at 08:45:07 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
wrote:
> On Monday, 1 November 2021 at 00:59:49 UTC, Adam Ruppe wrote:
>> On Monday, 1 November 2021 at 00:05:30 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> while we were wringing our hands about breaking the behavior
>>> for like a dozen users.
>>
>> If you agree there are only like a dozen users, why not just
>> make the changes and be done with it? Why worry about
>> preserving v1 behavior at all? (Worth noting you can always
>> just download an old version too.)
>
> +1

+1
Might be a few people, but I wouldn't mind Phobos just having
breaking changes (and a changelog entry for each).

1. In reality we can special case with static if (__VERSION__)

2. This is routine in the DUB universe, you can produce a new
major tag with breaking changes, provide a changelog, and inside
you can delete a dependency, add a dependency, rename, and it's
quite good as users can depends on the earlier version. If
anything, I think putting some of the stdlib as dub package (the
barely used stuff) might help evolves the API and lessen the
exposure (examples: std.uuid std.bigint std.getopt...).

3. I bet most of the commercial users usually pin the D compiler
version they use.