Proof of concept for v2 - NO duplication, NO `static if` hell, NO difficulty with interoperability

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 13:15:34 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 31 October 2021 at 01:59:38 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/8309
>
> Destroy!

Excellent idea. I think we should go for it.

I don't think this model mandates we have to keep v1 around
forever. We might support it for a few years from v2
stabilisation and then drop it.

Some have asked why we cannot just move and break stuff. My
opinion is that it would probably be okay if everyone would be
using Phobos only directly. But many of the DUB packages are also
going to depend on one or the other Phobos. Save for separately
compiled binary libraries, they cannot be used together anymore
if v1 and v2 don't interoperate.