Herb Sutter's CppCon talk "Extending and Simplifying C++: Thoughts on Pattern Matching using `is` and `as`"

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 16:18:32 UTC 2021

On Monday, 1 November 2021 at 01:47:32 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 10/31/21 8:46 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>> On Monday, 1 November 2021 at 00:20:33 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> I think it's relevant to our recent discussion on versioning,
>>> and also for its considerations on language design.
>>>
>>> https://youtube.com/watch?v=raB_289NxBk
>>>
>>> P.S. Destruction comes at https://youtu.be/raB_289NxBk?t=4727
>>> :o)
>>
>> Agreed on the destruction. But very good content by herb as
>> usual nevertheless.
>>
>> I'm not sure in what way does that meshes with versioning.
>> Could you unpack that for me?
>
> "Simplify C++ by adding to it" is the top-level message. It's a
> gambit.

Ok I can see that. On that front, I'd like to point at this
specific timestamp: https://youtu.be/raB_289NxBk?t=2775

This part IMO, point at what the #1 problem with the way things
have been done in D. D's feature just don't compose well because
they aren't orthogonal with each other (and many are
inconsistent).

C++ used to be very much that way too, and but it is clear that
this is something that has changed with C++11 onward.