Proof of concept for v2 - NO duplication, NO `static if` hell, NO difficulty with interoperability

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 11:36:11 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 2 November 2021 at 11:25:44 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> they'd need to be convinced and dare to say it loud that we
> can't reasonably soften the breakage.

I think you need to look at who is hit harder and if they can
take the hit. Hard breakage does not hit newbies, only
experienced developers. Mixed versions is very likely to add more
confusion for newbies and also for more complex programs (in the
future).

This is essentially political horse-trading because:

1. You sacrifice keeping things simple for newbies in favour of
making it more palatable to experienced developers.

2. You a pushing additional complexity issues into the future by
making it seem smoother now.

> Otherwise, it is still technical. `static if`? `version`? Using
> multiple releases of Phobos in the same project? Andrei's
> solution? Definitely a most technical question.

A technical solution to a political challenge, but there will be
debt to be paid later on (newbies and future complexity).