[Semi-OT] On the topic of build tools

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Tue Nov 2 15:12:08 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 10 August 2021 at 01:11:45 UTC, SealabJaster wrote:
> I find Bazel's approach quite interesting: being able to
> download tools and language support straight from the same
> language that configures your builds. I believe language
> support is also added via said language.
>
> I found the idea of using two languages interesting: e.g. use
> something like LUA to defines tooling, how to build X files,
> etc., then something more constrained and declarative like SDL
> to make use of the things the backend language provides. So
> essentially a seperation of concerns between the extension and
> configuration languages.

msbuild uses similar ideas: it provides DSL, tasks, targets,
items, and the actual build process rest is implemented in sdk of
your choice, your project specifies sdk that builds it, and the
said sdk provides build scripts that implement the build process
and handle your project. Tasks are loaded from libraries and
provide turing completeness that DSL can't provide.