Why is D unpopular?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Nov 2 18:48:40 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 2 November 2021 at 17:50:04 UTC, Tejas wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2 November 2021 at 17:35:08 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 2 November 2021 at 17:27:25 UTC, Dr Machine Code
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it's due to large ecosystem and the big corporations
>>> with deep pockets that pushes them. But I'd like to know you
>>> all opinions
>>
>> Yes, that's a big part of it. If you look at other languages
>> that doesn't have the corporate backing, they are about as
>> popular as D. Also, when something is developed in a proper
>> organization, it also usually means some kind of functional
>> management and a few developers that can do that full time.
>>
>> Python is kind of a outlier here, that has grown organically.
>
> Also C++, maybe? It's not like AT&T straight up commissioned
> Dr. Bjarne to write C with classes; atleast the first few years
> of cfront were very rough, keeping it relevant only because it
> had 100% C compatibility.

Alone that fact made almost every C compiler vendor embrace C++,
as C++ was born on the same place as UNIX and C.

Then on the PC and Mac it quickly got the love from Apple
(replacing Object Pascal with C++), IBM, Microsoft, Borland,
Watcom,  SGI, Sun, HP, among others, and naturally Digital
Mars/Symantec as well.

During the 1990's, C++ was everywhere for desktop GUI frameworks
from all OS vendors, and even TUI (like Turbo Vision).

Also Bjarne likes to tell that C++ only became an ISO because
representatives of companies like IBM, and others of similar
size, made it a requirement for adoption after a visit at AT&T.