Proof of concept for v2 - NO duplication, NO `static if` hell, NO difficulty with interoperability

Elronnd elronnd at elronnd.net
Tue Nov 2 22:27:10 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 2 November 2021 at 20:24:21 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
>> Not it all, std2 sounds to me like std.experimental just with
>> a different name.
>
> Must have been a miscommunication on my part. The two couldn't
> be more different.

I don't think the concern is that they are _intended_ to be
similar, but that they will end up that way.

> std.experimental:
> - Intent is to be moved to std when ready, where it ADDS
> functionality

And yet, std.experimental seems to be where code goes to die.
std.sumtype exists, probably only because pbackus didn't let it
go into std.experimental.

std.v2 is similar in at least one respect: it does not start off
stable, and will presumably get that way at some point.  At what
point do we say 'std.v2 is now stable'?  Well, that's exactly the
same question we ask about things in std.experimental.

Here's one way it could be done: stabilize individual components
of it at a time.  So, say: get rid of autodecoding and maybe the
class range thing, and then say 'all std.v2 range interfaces are
stable; others may not be'.  And at that point it is immediately
useful.  Complete, stable std.v2 just happens when all of its
components are stabilised.