Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 22:43:13 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 2 November 2021 at 22:00:34 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> But you can't conclude from that that projecting strong values
> correlates strongly with success, or you're committing the
> Texian sharpshooter fallacy. There are tons of other potential
> explanations.

There are many factors. One single factor is of course not
sufficient.

In the case of Rust, it seems quite clear that early adoption was
related to projecting a strong vision. I think we can say the
same for Java. It was projected as the next big thing on Internet
a long time before it actually was useful.

> And no, you're not avoiding the fallacy merely by listing a few
> other succesful languages that also had strong opinions.

We have to consider that there is a landscape of languages and
that enthusiastic D users have moved from D to Rust, Zig and Nim.
I think that ought to beg some soul searching questions.