Why is D unpopular?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 23:47:42 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 2 November 2021 at 22:43:13 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> In the case of Rust, it seems quite clear that early adoption
> was related to projecting a strong vision. I think we can say
> the same for Java. It was projected as the next big thing on
> Internet a long time before it actually was useful.

It could be that one or both of them did not succeed because of
strong opinions, but rather because of the bandwidth to broadcast
it. In other words, perhaps an unopinionated language with as
much bandwidth to broadcast it's malleability might succeed just
as well. And that's just one alternative theory.

Not saying your theory is wrong, but I'm not going to put much
weight on it and neither should anyone else, unless you can show
some research you're basing your opinions on. And that applies to
all forum theories about subjects like this.

>> And no, you're not avoiding the fallacy merely by listing a
>> few other succesful languages that also had strong opinions.
>
> We have to consider that there is a landscape of languages and
> that enthusiastic D users have moved from D to Rust, Zig and
> Nim. I think that ought to beg some soul searching questions.

As if something else was suggested. We are not talking about
whether we wish to answer questions about language adoption, we
are talking about how they can be somewhat reliably answered, if
at all.