Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 07:22:33 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 3 November 2021 at 06:08:57 UTC, harakim wrote:
> really like uncertainty. As a human developer who works with
> developers, I have noticed that human developers aren't super
> interested in sinking a bunch of time into something that will
> not provide lasting value. They look at the long-term/Big-Oh

It is true that developers look for safe choices when picking
languages in professional contexts, that basically always mean
either a language that is already popular or a very narrow
language that is well supported.

As such, small generic niche languages will always look unsafe
and developers with (sound) risk aversion will avoid them.

So, we cannot extrapolate too much from what choices people make
in professional software development contexts. We should expect
that the majority of uptake comes from individuals that have a
lot of freedom and can take higher risk.

But the critical adoption is not with average developers. Average
developers are essentially consumers that can motivate people to
write tutorials and so on (basically an audience), but they do
not increase the quality of the eco system. The critical adoption
is related to those that are highly skilled programmers that also
have programming as their primary hobby. The ones that are
willing to both work all day with programming using a cookie
cutter language and in addition want to spend their evenings and
weekends programming a niche language (+ those that have a lot of
freedom in their daytime). Those are the ones that can drive
early adoption and build a solid eco system for small languages.

D's major problem is not that it does not have sufficient numbers
of "consuming programmers". I think it does. The major problem is
that it does not have enough of those hardcore hobbyists. It has
not been able to retain enough of them over time.

That is where the vision is very important. And it would also
help if the compiler had a better architecture, and some semantic
cleanup to bring it more in line with the ideals of computer
science (as the most skilled programmers will know what the
semantics ought to be, and that can also be a turn off).

Comparing to languages like Go, C# etc does not make any sense,
because those languages have reached critical mass. They have so
many users that they statistically also have a large number of
hardcore programmers (even if that percentage is very low).

A small language needs a higher ratio of hardcore vs average
programmers than a language that already has critical mass.