Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 13:10:21 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 3 November 2021 at 12:52:10 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> You're assuming the truth is such you can infer it from what
> you see without going out to collect more data, and trust your
> analysis.

I am not assuming, I am presenting a viewpoint with arguments.
Also don't assume that research is about conveying truth. It is
about providing perspectives, models and ideally a transparent
exposition. In reality you can always dismiss research on complex
systems, by just pointing out that the context is different, the
sample is biased, the analysis is biased, that they only looked
for X and didn't look for Y, and that the results cannot be used
for prediction.

But that does not mean that the perspectives and models are
useless.

> Think Walter. He has seen pretty much everything, yet all of us
> can see blind spots in his thinking fairly often. You cannot
> expect yourself to do much better than Walter no matter how
> experienced you are.

I don't know how to respond to this. Let us keep Walter out of
the analysis.