Suggestion about releases

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Nov 3 15:35:51 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 3 November 2021 at 09:13:59 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> I don't have time to write a proper post, but I have a
> suggestion.
>
> Could we increase the time between releases?
>
> Today we have in practice 15 days between minor versions. That
> might be ok, but "major" releases are too frequent.
>
> The logic behind that is it would hopefully put more focus on
> testing and reliability etc. If we have to live with a release
> for a longer time period, the theory is everyone will be more
> cautious when making a change.
>
> Theory vs practice applies ofc, but I think it could be
> positive. As for what amount of time makes most sense, I'm not
> sure yet.
>
> Thoughts?

My preference is once a year, after dconf, they release a new
stable version of the compiler. That wouldn't prevent them from
having other releases in between, they just wouldn't be "stable"
releases. I don't think this will go anywhere though. It's been
discussed before and most people don't see a need to change it.