Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 16:27:59 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 3 November 2021 at 14:38:39 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> What I meant is that posting of the spec on Slashdot in 2001
> wasn't a carefully executed software release you could have
> for... consumer applications and new languages from big
> companies.

Yes sure. I also remember that when I followed /. I generally
paid little attention to the article and was more interested in
reading the opinions and experiences that the users shared in
their comments. Kinda like reddit. So, in some sense the /.
population created their own hype machine fed by the editors… If
reddit was more structured I guess it could have some of the same
effect.

> Wirth family of languages. So yes exposure to C++ highlight the
> value of D more I guess, so you can get the issue of
> intersecting audiences.

Yes, especially since Walter pointed out on the website (IIRC)
that the D compiler was built on the same core as a C++ compiler
and that he had set out on a personal «mission» to create an
easier language in the C++ family (he probably used different
words, but that was the impression his «story» left in me). That
made the goal believable, even though I hit some show-stopping
experiences the first year I tried to use it. «Ok, let me wait
and see how it looks when those compiler issues are dealt with.»
Then D2 came with raised ambitions and things got more
complicated.