Why is D unpopular?

MGW mgw at yandex.ru
Wed Nov 3 16:42:01 UTC 2021

I think D is positioning itself wrongly. It tries to be useful to
a very narrow circle of highly skilled developers (mostly C++) by
betting on an advanced compiler. But, such developers are
hampered by GC, there are few of them and they don't promote D.

On the other hand, beginning developers do not need it because D
grew up with C++ and beginning developers are repulsed by the
very mention of C++.

D should be positioned for intermediate developers. There is a
big plus here GC. The bulk of development does not require
serious knowledge of the C++ level. The main slogan: The power of
C++ and the ease of programming as in Python.

To do this, you need:
1 - try to "freeze" compiler changes that break compatibility
with the written code.
2 - ask the developers to update the packages for the modern
version of the compiler.
3 - clearly show groups of packages by direction, CLI, GUI, WEB,
NET, etc. on the homepage. The developer should take an example
from any group and with minimal effort get a demo version.
4 - Try to "stick" to the mainstream, such as Qt. Now Qt fully
supports only C++ and Python.  If we can position D as the third
power in Qt, the rise in popularity of the D language is
guaranteed.