Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 17:05:34 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 3 November 2021 at 16:42:01 UTC, MGW wrote:
> 4 - Try to "stick" to the mainstream, such as Qt. Now Qt fully
> supports only C++ and Python.  If we can position D as the
> third power in Qt, the rise in popularity of the D language is
> guaranteed.

In another thread Guillaume pointed out that D was suitable for
developing cross platform desktop applications. That could be,
right now there are no good options for that (unless you consider
Java to be a good option). Dart/Flutter is preparing to cover the
desktop with C++ interop. So that could be a contender in the
future.

You are right, an easy to use application framework is needed if
you want to attract intermediate developers. Being limited to web
and command line utils isn't all that attractive. Something like
Qt is ok, but I don't think Qt is all that attractive. I think
taking the engine in Flutter and tailoring it to the language and
giving it better 2D graphics capabilities might be the best
option. Then you have something current and generic that can be
used for both simple games and desktop UI.

But you need maybe 5 developers to do it well. Are they here? I
don't know.