Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 18:49:46 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 3 November 2021 at 18:20:55 UTC, kot wrote:
> years ago i suggested D should be distributed with an embeded C
> compiler. since it was already required to be binary compatible
> with C, this was the obvious next step which would also solve
> most tooling issues out of the box. from license issues to
> practicality there were many voices against it, some said it
> was a dumb.

Hah, I have suggested this too!! About seven (??) years ago. Did
you use a different nickname back then? (Walter didn't like it,
but he changed his mind now?)

> is the most important. they save you from one hell, only to
> welcome you with another, yet they give you the tools
> (half-assed tools, tools nonetheless) to get something done.

Well, yes, although it shows that C/C++ was not designed with
tooling in mind. But looking back those language has improved a
lot. When I started with C, the Ansi-standard was so new that
most codebases I retrieved by FTP didn't support it. So they were
littered with #ifdefs and macros to support all the C-dialects
(and Unices…). So there has been a steady stream of improvement,
although C itself looks arcane now.