Phobos version naming

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 03:50:24 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 3 November 2021 at 17:42:06 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 2021-11-03 12:29, Paul Backus wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 3 November 2021 at 15:37:05 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Currently it's std.v2 but I'm unclear how it goes from there.
>>> By semver we'd go with std.v2_0_1 and so on.
>>
>> This seems like a misuse of semver to me. Backwards-compatible
>> bugfixes and additions to std.v2 can go directly into std.v2,
>> just like they currently do for std. There is no need to
>> create separate packages for every minor and patch increment.
>>
>> If we really want to support users depending on a specific
>> minor/patch release of Phobos other than the one shipped with
>> their D toolchain, we should put Phobos on code.dlang.org.
>
> OK, so the way to go is with std version naming is...?

Having thought about this some more, I think there are two
separate issues here: naming and distribution.

SemVer tells us how to do naming; i.e., how to refer to a
particular release, like "1.0.0" or "2.0.1". I do not think we
should abandon SemVer for naming.

However, SemVer does not tell us how to do distribution; i.e.,
how users can get access to a particular release. There are many
possible choices we can make here:

* Ship every release with the official D distribution.
* Ship the latest release of each major version with the official
D distribution.
* Ship every release on code.dlang.org.
* Ship some releases with the official D distribution and others
on code.dlang.org.

Given that code.dlang.org already has infrastructure in place for
distributing many releases of the same package, I think it makes
sense to use it for at least some of Phobos's distribution, if
not all of it. And my gut reaction is that shipping *every*
release in the official D distribution would be too much--at the
very least, new users should not be presented with dozens of
standard-library releases to choose from right off the bat. So,
the right answer is probably somewhere between those two extremes.