Proof of concept for v2 - NO duplication, NO `static if` hell, NO difficulty with interoperability

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 09:43:21 UTC 2021

On Friday, 5 November 2021 at 03:12:39 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Sunday, 31 October 2021 at 01:59:38 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
>> https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/8309
>>
>> Destroy!
>
> I'm highly skeptical of making phobos 2 at this time. Maybe I'm
> wrong, but we discussed it not so long ago, and I tried to work
> on collections for it.
>
> Problem is: it is not possible, as far as I can tell, to write
> a high quality collection library in D right now.

That is an orthogonal problem. If we agreed to merge some
collections library to Phobos, it could be done to Phobos 1 just
as well. We don't need Phobos 2 for that.

Rather Phobos 2 lets us to discard some old design decisions we
don't want to keep around anymore. Autodecoding is the best
example, but not the only one. Were we simply to drop that in
Phobos 1, it would be far more difficult to migrate for users.