Why is D unpopular?

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 15:30:51 UTC 2021

On Friday, 5 November 2021 at 13:42:44 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 5 November 2021 at 13:10:58 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
> wrote:
>> Interesting point of view because obviously it isn't the point
>> of view of many in the D community. I'll spare you the details
>> but it is very possible D outperform those in their specialty.
>
> I think we need to embrace the idea that there is no single
> factor, and that D cannot best languages with critical mass in
> their speciality niches.

I agree that language evaluation occurs in a multi-dimensional
space (no single factor) but I believe that D has already
"bested" C++, to pick one competitor, in several ways.  For
example, in performance critical areas it has allowed
individuals, or small groups, to quickly develop software that
equals or outperforms the world's best.  Roughly a (hard
performance / development cost) metric.

For me D is significantly better than my previous favorite in the
performance space (C++/CUDA).  The accessible and powerful
metaprogramming capabilities let you get to the metal quickly
with code that is quite readable.  Unittest, modules, nested
functions, ... are also very helpful.

I imagine the Mir developer(s) might feel the same way. I don't
know exactly how much Intel has spent on the portion of MKL that
competes with Mir, but I would be quite surprised if it were less
than 10X that spent on Mir.

Finally, note that "besting" a particular language in some way(s)
does not imply "besting" that language in terms of uptake but it
does mean that for those who weight those factors heavily, D is
the right choice.