My choice to pick Go over D ( and Rust ), mostly non-technical

jfondren julian.fondren at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 15:50:05 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 7 November 2021 at 11:43:23 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/vnkgayrbnokeufduuuba@forum.dlang.org
>
> Are we getting forward?

You mean, has any of that changed? No, it hasn't. Maybe small
details like http/2 support have. If your only interest is making
little HTTP servers then go has few disadvantages vs. D (although
I'm surprised performance is so bad, when I compared a go UDP
server with a D one the difference was enormous--go worked
hundreds of times harder to have a fraction of the throughput).
I've also found rocket.rs to have competitive compiletimes vs.
vibe for a little server with a few dozen routes (not from
scratch obviously, but Rust's edit-compile-test cycle took half
the time of D's).

If your code amounts to

```python
import solution
solution.work()
```

then the language doesn't matter at all and your complaints start
to look like that post's: "language A has more investment in its
solution library than language B has, so I want to use language
A". Where language might start to matter for you is when you try
to go against the grain of the the 'solution' library, or when
something goes wrong, or when you want a feature that wasn't
intended. This is where my happy little Rust solutions turned
into nightmares. It didn't matter that Rust has an SMTP server
library for me to use and d didn't when writing an d SMTP server
was easier than adding what should be trivial features to the
Rust server.